Duke University Class Ring

Founding Year: 1838

Mascot: Blue Devil

Colors: White and Duke Blue

Duke University is a research institution in Durham, N.C., that was founded in 1838 by Quakers and Methodists in the present-day town of Trinity. The school started when families in rural Randolph County employed Brantley York as a permanent teacher for their subscription school and under his leadership, the Brown’s Schoolhouse became Union Institute in 1841. 

When the Quaker focused their support toward its own school in Guilford County, Braxton Craven, the school’s principal in 1842, looked to the state for assistance. Craven succeeded in getting from the North Carolina legislature a rechartering of the academy as Normal College in 1851 and the honor of granting degrees in 1853.

Because the State of North Carolina’s public school system was slowly developing, Craven, turned to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South to keep the school functioning. The trustees agreed to finance the education of Methodist preachers in exchange for financial support by the church, and in 1859 the transformation was made formal with a name change to Trinity College. The school’s financial difficulties continued but in spite of this Trinity’s enrollment increased, even enrolling students from out of state, and the college managed to survive the fluctuations brought by the Civil War and Reconstruction.

One of the most significant turning points for Trinity happened in 1887, when the youthful, Yale-trained John F. Crowell became its president. Crowell initiated a major revision in the college’s curriculum to follow after the German university model which focuses more on research over recitation. He created the first campus-wide research library and convinced the trustees that the college’s future advancement lay in an urban setting where it would be easier to attract students, faculty and financial support.

In 1892, after a fierce competition among piedmont cities, Trinity launched in Durham, mostly because of the generosity of Washington Duke and Julian S. Carr, influential and esteemed Methodists who have grown wealthy in the tobacco and electric industries. Carr donated land for the original Durham campus, now known as the East Campus. At the same time, Washington Duke donated to the school $85,000 for an initial endowment and construction costs—later increasing his generosity with three gifts of $100,000 in 1896, 1899, and 1900—with the condition that the college starts to admit women to put them “on equal footing with men.”

In 1924, James B. Duke, Washington Duke’s son, established The Duke Endowment with a $40 million trust fund. Proceeds from the fund was to be allocated orphanages, hospitals, the Methodist Church, and four colleges. At that time, Trinity’s president, William Preston Few, insisted that the institution be renamed Duke University to honor the family’s generosity and to set it apart from the other colleges and universities that carry the “Trinity” name. At first, James B. Duke thought the change of name was self-serving but later on agreed with the condition that it be a memorial to his father and family. 

Presently, Duke holds a top-ten position in most national rankings, and has been entitled the top college for graduate outcomes for several consecutive years having tied with Harvard University and Yale University. 

ABOUT THE RING

The Traditional Ring

The Duke Traditional College Ring includes a Duke Blue Spinel stone in the wearer’s choice of faceted or smooth top. All traditional rings feature the Chapel and the year of graduation on one side, and the degree and the Duke seal or a Gothic “D” on the other.

The Signet Ring

The Duke signet ring implies collegiate influence and sophistication. Manufactured in solid gold, it comes with the choice of plain sides or graduation year and degree side. The top of the signet ring is engraved with the Duke seal or the Gothic “D”.

The Dinner Ring

The Duke Dinner ring displays the Gothic “D” or Duke seal on one side and the Chapel on the other. The wearer’s graduation year and degree can optionally be engraved inside the ring. Greek letters or other encrusting can also be featured on top of the Duke Blue Spinel stone.

I am text block. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Courtesy of duke.edu

RING TRADITIONS

Only a graduate of the Duke University or students that have Senior status are allowed to order a Duke ring.

You can distinguish a Duke graduate by their handshake, when they’re wearing their exclusive Duke University class ring. As graduates begin their career and move on in the world, their Duke ring reflects a source of pride in their education and their school.

DUKE UNIVERSITY TRADITIONS & TRIVIA

The Blue Devils

The senior class of 1923 took it upon themselves to pick a school moniker. Many of them had fought during World War I and remembered a well-trained and courageous French unit known as “les Diables Bleus,” the Blue Devils. They wore distinctive blue uniforms with flowing capes and a blue beret. During the 1922-1923 academic year, the editors of the Chronicle began referring to the athletic teams as the Blue Devils. While the rest of the college press and the cheerleaders declined to use the name that year, they did not oppose its use by the Chronicle. Not even the Methodist college administration put up any resistance. The Chronicle continued to use the Blue Devil nickname for the teams and eventually the name became accepted as the official moniker for Duke sports.

Duke University Class Ring

Duke University Class Ring with RingWraps

RingWraps is not affiliated with the Duke University or the Duke University Alumni. All Class Rings, Ring Designs, images, videos, logos and information used are the trademark and copyright of their perspective holders and RingWraps makes no claim of ownership. This information is used for educational purposes only.