Founding Year: 1980
Mascot: Boomer and Sooner
Colors: Crimson & Cream
On December 18, 1890, the Oklahoma Territorial legislature, with the support of Governor George Washington Steele, the University of Oklahoma (OU) was placed in Norman. The legislature instructed the town to donate 40 acres for a campus and raise 10,000 dollars through bond sales to construct a building. Because of the possible enormous economic benefits, the town complied with the requirements on December 14, 1891
In 1892, the university’s first president, David Ross Boyd, arrived in Norman. He said he could not visualize a treeless university seat so he ordered the planting of trees before the first campus building was constructed.
The university took a big hit in 1903 when a fire destroyed its only building. In spite of this, by the time Boyd left in 1908, the school boasted more than 30 teachers, 8 buildings, and almost 800 students.
On the state’s centennial, the Norman campus of the University of Oklahoma was home to thirteen colleges that spanned to approximately thirty-five hundred acres. The faculty totaled more than twelve hundred, and the student body approached twenty-five thousand. Annually, the university grants around five thousand degrees.
ABOUT THE RING
The OU Ring is a narration of people’s story. It’s a story of a place and possibility. The OU Ring is a symbol of the great women and men, the great people with vision and dreams, students, faculty and staff, making meaning through the investment of their lives in the next generation and all the generations that follow.
The ring top is encircled with a traditional border of the university seal. This reminds everyone that while the Oklahoma University is a diverse campus community, everyone is included and are members of the OU family. The interlocking OU is featured at the center of the ring. This is probably the most universal and most recognizable university symbol.
The OU rings are made of gold, a precious metal that symbolizes the value of an OU education. Most of the OU campus structures are inspired by the Cherokee Gothic architectural style, and it is displayed on the ring as arches on each side. Likewise, arches, built as senior class gifts over the years, provide both the symbolic and actual welcome and gateway at every major entrance to the campus.
Source: Oklahoma University
Courtesy of Oklahoma University
Every year during homecoming week, the OU Ring Ceremony is held to honor students and alumni who have ordered their rings. During the event, participants and their guests are encouraged to take part in the symbolic ceremony and a congratulatory reception that follows. The president of the university, the honorary ring recipient and the OU Alumni Association are all present to congratulate each recipient.
OU TRADITIONS & TRIVIA
The Red and White Paddles
The University of Oklahoma RUF/NEKS carries red and white paddles as a symbol of tradition and pride in their club and school. This tradition started in the 1920’s and at that time they carried the paddles because they thought it would intimidate the fans to cheer more for their team.
Each year, on a Monday before the infamous OU-Texas football rivalry, the words “BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS” are repainted on the sidewalk outside Dale Hall. The tradition started in the 80’s and continues until today.
Of all the Oklahoma University traditions, this one is the most visible. Every home football game when the team runs onto the field, RUF/NEKS sprint down the field the OU flags, and slide into the goalpost. At the goalpost, the FADADA chant is recited. The origins of this tradition are unclear, but it is believed that the chant gave the Sooners good luck.
Oklahoma University Class Ring with RingWraps
RingWraps is not affiliated with Oklahoma University or the Oklahoma University Alumni Association. All Class Rings, Ring Designs, images, videos, logos and information used are the trademark and copyright of their perspective holders and RingWraps makes no claim of ownership. This information is used for educational purposes only.