Founding Year: 1923
Mascot: Masked Rider, Raider Red
Colors: Scarlet & Black
On Feb 10th 1923, West Texas was selected as the home for a new major Texas university. Through legislative action, this new university was established and was named Texas Technical College. Now known world wide as Texas Technical University or, more commonly as Texas Tech, this university has the honor of being one of the largest higher education institutions in the great Lone Star State. The university is the major institution of higher education in a region larger than 46 of the nation’s 50 states and is quite unique in that it is the the only school in the state that can boast about having a major university, law school and medical school on campus.
The college opened in 1925 with only six buildings and a small enrollment of 914 students. The renowned Graduate programs didn't have their start until 1927 within the school of Liberal Arts. A “Division of Graduate Studies” was established in 1935 and eventually became known as the Texas Tech Graduate School in 1954.
In it's early years, the college grew slowly and was slowed even further in 1933 by a legislative move to reduce its size and scope. By the early 1940's enrollment was 4,000+ students. Enrollment dropped during World War II, when the college started training a few thousand men for the armed forces. By 1969, when the college was renamed Texas Tech University, the university boasted enrollment numbers nearing 20,000. This name change was brought on by both student and faculty opinions and the school was officially renamed in September 1969. Six of the schools on the campus were transitioned into colleges with Texas Tech Law remaining a school.
The university continued to grow and into the 1990's the university continued to bolster its enrollment as well as it's faculty count. By the late 90s Texas Tech had earned its rank as a well-established state university featuring a diversified range of educational programs and countless post-graduate programs both at master's and doctorate levels of education. Texas Tech would go on to grow its research and teaching programs in various vocations, focusing on agriculture, engineering, and other disciplines that have a strong influence in West Texas.
ABOUT THE TEXAS TECH CLASS RING
From 1999, The Official Texas Tech Alumni Association Class Ring has been the universal symbol of academic achievement at Texas Tech. The single ring is a tradition that was brought back from the 1950s that encompasses the Double T, Masked Rider, Administration Bell Tower, and the Texas Tech seal. Cast inside each ring is “Strive For Honor,” taken from “The Matador Song.” Rings are presented by the University president at the Official Ring Ceremony in the Merket Alumni Center.
The Texas Tech Class Ring honors to essence of Texas Tech, proudly depicting the Double T, encircle by the university name and founding dates. The Administration Building can be seen on one section of the ring, complete with the Texas Tech bells, representing victory. The other shoulder displays the university seal. An American Bald eagle over a book; a star that represents the Lone Star State; a key signifying home; an knowledge symbolized by a lamp. All of these parts are separated by a cross with cotton balls a representation Lubbock, the town the university calls home.
Courtesy of Balfour
Texas Tech University Ring Day
The Big Day for Red Raiders! Ring Day is one of the most memorable events that happens for future Alumni. It marks the end of one chapter and opens up the door to a whole new chapter for you to begin embarking on. Receiving their ring on this great day is a symbol of their achievements in their time as students at Texas Tech. Going on to proudly wear their ring, representing their alma mater wherever they may go.
Ring Day takes place twice a year, one in the Spring semester and one in the Fall semester.
Location: Merket Alumni Center
Spring Semester: Last week of April
Fall Semester: Last week of November
Texas Tech Traditions & Trivia
When Texas Tech university was founded, most of the focus in construction was on buildings and less on campus beautification. This led president Knapp to officially dedicate one day every spring to beautifying the grounds. Every year since 1937, students and teachers plant trees, bushes and flowers to beautify the campus on Arbor Day.
Legend has it that a group of petroleum engineers on an excursion came across a piece of the Blarney Stone. On St. Patty's day, 1939, they discovered a stone that was out of place considering the geographical location. Much to their surprise, upon further testing, the learned they had found a piece of the original Blarney Stone! This stone fragment now rests in front of the Electrical Engineering building, often visited by graduating seniors who kiss it in hopes of being graced with the ability of eloquence
Texas Tech Victory Bells
In 1936, the Victory Bells were given to Texas Tech as a gift. They rang for the first time at the Class of 1936 graduation ceremony. The bells rang for the first time on Sept. 19, 1936 when the Texas Tech football team defeated Texas Wesleyan. Now, the bells ring for about 30 minutes following every Texas Tech athletic victory. The Saddle Tramps and High Riders are the only people with the honor to ring out the bells.
GUNS UP! is a sign often seen around campus and sporting events, recognized as the unofficial greeting from raider to raider. Used as a sign of victory every athletic event, students point Guns Up! every chance they get to proudly represent the Red Raiders. The origins of the sign leads back to L. Glenn Dippel, a 1961 alumnus of Texas Tech. Living in Austin, he grew tired of seeing the "Hook 'em Horns" hand sign of UT. Looking to Raider Red and his pistols for inspiration, the Guns Up sign was born and is still early flashed by proud Raiders.
Texas Tech Class Ring
Texas Tech Class Ring With Ringwraps
RingWraps is not affiliated with The Texas Tech or the The Association of Former Students of Texas Tech. All Class Rings, Ring Designs, images, videos, logos and information used are the trademark and copyright of their perspective holders and RingWraps makes no claim of ownership. This information is used for educational purposes only.