Texas Lutheran University Class Ring
Founding Year: 1891
Mascot: Lucky the Bulldog
Colors: Black & Gold
The Texas Lutheran University, in Seguin, traces its origin to 1891, when the First Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Texas founded the Evangelical Lutheran College of Brenham, Texas. Reverend Gottlieb Langner served as its first president. Financial difficulties forced a limitation of the institution’s functions, and in 1909, its name was changed to the Evangelical Lutheran Proseminary of Brenham, Texas.
In 1912, with Reverend C. Weeber as president, the proseminary was moved to Seguin and reestablished as an academy called the Lutheran College of Seguin, Texas. It attained junior college status in 1928–29 and was accredited by the state department of education.
In 1929, a partial merger between the proseminary and Trinity College of Round Rock, Texas took place and in 1930, they were given recognition as a class A junior college by the Association of Texas Colleges in 1930.
The institute adopted the name Texas Lutheran College in 1932 and in 1940, it was granted membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Texas Lutheran became a senior college in 1948 and in 1954, it was merged with Clifton College, of Clifton, Texas.
Originally, the institute’s academic focus was on training preministerial students. Today, the college is a liberal arts institution that offers a bachelor’s degree in 18 academic departments and several professional fields, as well as preprofessional study in several service areas.
In 1996, the school changed its name to Texas Lutheran University.
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY TRADITIONS & TRIVIA
Lucky the Bulldog
Lucky is a bulldog and TLU’s mascot. Although they have no official live mascot, the university has no shortage of representatives on campus. The student’s favorite is a “Lucky” sculpted out of a tree stump, now on display in the Alumni Student Center. It has been a tradition that during graduation he is moved outside and students rub his head for good luck at procession.
When TLU was moved to Seguin in 1912 the bell from the campus tower in Brenham was the only piece brought to the new location and has remained here for more than 100 years. The bell is now rung after athletic triumphs and other special occasions, including graduation.
Each fall, in conjunction with Homecoming, the Office of First Year & Campus Programs hosts Family Weekend. This happens on the weekend of a home football game against a SCAC opponent. Some of the included events are a Q&A session with TLU administrators, workshops, and a Family Weekend Breakfast with the TLU President.
Vespers is an annual Christmas celebration of music and word which started in 1940. The celebration is performed by the TLU Choir, TLU Women’s Choir, Kantorei Chamber Choir and the Symphonic Winds and Percussion. Music has been an essential part of the curriculum at TLU and Christmas Vespers draws thousands of people from across the state of Texas and beyond.
The Spring Fling is the largest celebration on campus hosted by the Student Government Association. It has been a long-lasting tradition that takes place the third Saturday before spring graduation. Students get to enjoy music and games during this outdoor event where outstanding members of the TLU community are given special recognition.
Official Class Ring:
TLU’s Official Class Ring was revealed during Homecoming 2009 and represents everything TLU — from academics and athletics to history, spirit and tradition. Official rings are distributed every year at the annual Ring Ceremony in the spring.
Texas Lutheran University Class Ring with RingWraps
RingWraps is not affiliated with Texas Lutheran University or the Texas Lutheran Alumni Association. All Class Rings, Ring Designs, images, videos, logos and information used are the trademark and copyright of their perspective holders and RingWraps makes no claim of ownership. This information is used for educational purposes only.